Joined on the show this week by Neen James, an attention expert, consultant, speaker, and author of the new book, Attention Pays: How to Drive Profitability, Productivity, and Accountability. Learn more here!
Notes + discussion guide from today’s conversation with Neen James:
1. Getting attention vs. paying attention. What is the definition of attention in the context of this conversation? And also, it’s a little about KEEPING the attention too.
2. Paying attention is active, it’s a process of giving. And you need to pay attention personally (who), professionally (what), and globally (how).
2a. “Attention is a choice!”
3. But what do you pay attention to?
4. What is the over-trilogy, and why does it matter to us?
5. Importance of dedicating 15 minutes each day to determine three must-dos that will move you forward towards your true goal. This is where you prioritize your priorities. How do we actually do this? (And you need to write them down!)
6. “You cannot manage time, but you can manage your attention.”
7. “We are good with external accountability, but not good with internal accountability.”
8. “If you don’t know why you are doing something, you are less likely to hold yourself accountable to do it.”
9. How do we improve our focus? First, understanding what is really distracting you.
10. “Listen with your eyes!” (advice from a five-year old…)
11. “You have to be influential Monday to Monday…”
12. “Do you people realize how powerful they are?”
13. “You can, or you can’t…you choose.”
14. How does any of this lead to profits? (one hint: add-on sales!)
Find Neen James’ book here:
About Neen James:
Neen James is the author of Folding Time™ and Attention Pays™. In 2017, she was named one of the Top 30 Leadership Speakers by Global Guru because of her work with companies like Viacom, Comcast, and Abbot Pharmaceuticals among others.
Neen has boundless energy, is quick-witted and always offers powerful strategies for paying attention to what matters so you can get more done and create more significant moments at work, and home.
Neen is the kind of speaker that engages, educates, entertains, and delivers the real-world solutions that apply in your organization, your home, and your community. She also provides one-on-one consulting in a variety of leadership topics and loves serving her audiences.