i still don’t know what i want to do when i grow up. but what i do know is the process of my personal development never ends, and that the journey is a lot more fun than actually arriving somewhere. what follows here are just some random notes from my process…
- the art of resilience by ross edgley
- can’t hurt me by david goggins
- discipline equals freedom: field manual by jocko willink
How much you truly "believe" in something can be manifested only through what you are willing to risk for it. /Nassim Taleb, Skin in the Game
how liberating it is not to depend emotionally on anything. (tony de mello)
In a podcast, Naval Ravikant mentioned his evening routine: Before he went to sleep, he simply read philosophy. That’s it. To me, it sounds extraordinary. Peaceful. Calm. Quiet. And I’ve done it for several nights, and my evenings are much more pleasant, peaceful, educational, and tires me in a way that feels emotionally satisfying. Can’t promise I will always do it, but I will do it often…
Emotions can override any level of intelligence.Morgan Housel
The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.Ayn Rand
If you can’t tell what you desperately need, it’s probably sleep.Kevin Kelly
THINGS TO DO EACH DAY:
- Read (and focus on continued learning)
- …and read some philosophy
- 10,000 steps
- Eat two servings of fruit
- Eat at least three servings of vegetables
- Eliminate at least one thing you do not need (physical junk, mental chatter, digital files, unnecessary appointments, etc.).
- Exercise discipline
THINGS TO AVOID EACH DAY:
- More than one serving of meat
If you get an opportunity, don’t squander it by being normal.Sam Morse (I think)
I don’t want to get to the end of my life and find that I just lived the length of it. I want to live the width of it as well.Diane Ackerman
I’ve learned an important trick: to develop foresight, you need to practice hindsight.Jane McGonigal
Excellence is the next five minutes. Or not at all.Tom Peters
Dishonesty is the fear of truth.Yung Pueblo
Happiness is like a butterfly: the more you chase it, the more it will evade you, but if you notice the other things around you, it will gently come and sit on your shoulder.Thoreau
“All of humanity’s problems stem from man’s inability to sit quietly in a room alone.”Blaise Pascal
If you are in a rush, you are doing it wrong…
Don’t allow yourself to get so entangled in ridiculously complicated To Do lists. This can be paralyzing when it gets too long, generate stress and frustration that it will never get done. Do you really need to make expansive lists like this? Don’t your instincts tell you what you should be focusing on next?
Be curious. Try different things. Tinker in a “workshop.” Read and learn everything you can. Make things. Write about what you are doing and what you learn. Know that personal development never ends. In other words, be more like Kevin Kelly and Stewart Brand.
Don’t let your inbox become a distracting burden. Email communication is powerful when you have it under control, and only receive communications that you want, and can take meaningful action on. Mercilessly guard against any kind of spam and unwanted distractions.
“A military force has no constant formation, water has no constant shape: the ability to gain victory by changing and adapting according to the opponent is called genius.”Sun Tzu
- i quit alcohol in july, 2020. it has been game changing. i sleep better, have more clarity, and reduced stress. more than two years on, don’t miss it at all. worth doing.
- one needs to consume two servings a fruit per day, and at least three servings of vegetables.
- start the day off by immediately drinking some water (before your coffee)!
- the key to good living is constant movement. the body isn’t designed to sit in an office chair…
- but sorry dude, there’s no way to do wellness without cardio…
- make it a habit, when standing up from sitting in a chair, to NOT using your hands or arms. this is good for mobility, balance, and coordination.
- i’ve started to incorporate jumping into the sauna after a workout, with benefits that include detoxification, increased metabolism, weight loss, increased blood circulation, pain reduction, antiaging, skin rejuvenation, improved cardiovascular function, improved immune function, improved sleep, stress management, and relaxation.